Employment law has undergone rapid change as businesses and work patterns continue to evolve. Our highly experienced team of employment law experts advises at the cutting edge of these changes.
We provide strategic advice to Irish and multinational companies in diverse sectors including education, retail, state bodies and other public sector organisations, credit unions, airlines and insurance.
We understand the dynamics of the employer-employee relationship and the demands it places on you and your business in a fast paced environment. The Hayes employment law team has the experience to provide practical commerical advice to both employers and employees on all types of contentious and non-contentious employment issues and situations. We guide our clients through the maze of employment legislation and regulation and provide support through pragmatic and flexible solutions.
Hayes has recognised expertise in many of the key specialist legal and regulatory areas that help shape employment law. These include Transfer Regulations (TUPE), outsourcing and restructuring, equality, health and safety, pensions, administrative and regulatory law, and industrial relations.
We have significant expertise and experience in administrative law and regulatory matters for the professions, and continue to develop our reputation in the area. Our international work includes advising on the differences between Ireland and the UK in employment and industrial relations and advice to US and European multinationals and their executives on Irish employment law issues.
Speed of response and accessibility are hallmarks of our service. We provide ongoing advices for daily queries, strategic advices on medium and long-term goals, best practice on procedures and representation in litigation.
Our services cover:
- Agency workers
- Alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation
- Contracts, updating employment contracts, staff handbooks and employment permits
- Data protection, the obligations, responses to requests, and drafting policies
- Complaints, advising employers on bullying, harassment and work-related stress complaints
- Equality compliance from interviews to employment, and including litigation
- Fixed-term workers, drafting contracts, advising on renewals, obligations and disputes
- Freedom of information, advising on obligations and procedures
- Health and Safety, advising on all aspects, risk assessments, prosecutions and investigations
- Industrial relations, advising on strategies for change, negotiations and industrial action
- Information and consultation, EROs, REAs and Joint Labour Committees
- Investigations, advising on their conduct and fair procedures for positive outcome
- Leave, advising on maternity, adoptive, parental, carers, force-majeure and career breaks
- Outsourcing, advising on contractual implications for staff, fixed-term, agency, part-time and temporary workers
- Performance, advising on performance, managing absence, misconduct and professional difficulties towards preferred outcome
- Procedures, drafting and updating policies and procedures for workplace complaints including disciplinary, grievance, bullying and harassment, sexual harassment, internet and social media
- Record keeping, advising on Garda vetting and references
- Restructuring and Redundancy, advising on all aspects including claims
- Retirement, advising on issues in relation to age, pension, redundancy schemes
- Whistleblowing, drafting policies, advising on criminal prosecutions, claims and investigations.
Our employment law team is highly active in providing on-the-spot advice, case handling, dispute resolution and employment policy services to employers and employees across a wide range of sectors. Some examples of our work include:
- Advising on employment issues on the sale or transfer of a business. Advices in relation to Transfer Regulations including cross-border transfers
- Advising foreign companies establishing in Ireland or with an existing presence in relation to Irish HR issues
- Advising a large multinational in relation to removal of CEO/Director/Shareholder and other senior management team members
- Advising on company re-structuring and associated issues
- Representing parties in Court in relation to complex bullying and harassment/equality cases
- Representing senior management and employees in relation to exiting employment including attending mediation where appropriate.
What clients say: Employment Law
Accessibility to the partners for excellent and timely advice provided in a practical manner. Expert knowledge provided without fuss and focussed on what you ask
"The team members are very proactive and follow up very quickly on matters."
"Practical, intuitive and knowledgeable"; "We felt completely supported and received sound advice throughout the process."
"Their depth of knowledge of case law is very impressive, as is their common-sense approach to reaching a solution."
"A dedicated team with extensive expertise in a range of areas. The team’s client-focussed approach ensures that they respond efficiently, expediently and effectively"
"Hayes provide us with excellent advice and support in relation to employee relations matters. Their knowledge in employment law is extensive. They disseminate this knowledge in a clear and practical matter which is relevant to the individual organisation."
"Hayes are extremely responsive and have a good commercial approach. They provide the right balance between being thorough and practical. The teams at Hayes are also quick to propose solutions whenever a problem arises."
"For me what makes this practice unique is the way in which their lawyers appear to become invested in their clients. I have had many matters where Hayes felt as invested in them as my company did."
‘Irrespective of the nature of the support required, they consistently present quality subject matter experts who guide us through the process in the most compliant manner ensuring that we achieve our objectives.’
Hayes respond fast, their responses are to the point, and their advice is practical. Having used Hayes for the last seven years I completely trust any advice they give, they understand our business and the balance needed to run a business while working within the law.
Hayes is an efficient, responsive and supportive practice providing clear and concise advice across a range of HR issues and employment matters. I always receive coherent guidance and advice, which is effective and solution focused. The team is very knowledgeable and was very succinct and incisive in providing advice on our business response to Covid, including managing layoffs, short term, holidays etc. Hayes is our practice of choice
"Clear and concise in providing advice"; "They go beyond merely providing information; they give strong, personalised support."
Breda O'Malley, Anne Lyne and all the team tune in to the human, as well as the legal and risk, dimensions of a situation. They are commercially and client sensitive and they will always seek an early resolution of an escalating situation, for the benefit of all involved.