Hayes solicitors has Ireland’s largest legal team dedicated solely to medical and dental defence litigation. We understand the medico-legal landscape and the complex challenges facing today’s medical indemnifiers and the medical and dental practitioners and other healthcare professionals they serve.
Our team offers specific and unique skills in dealing with medical/dental negligence claims and is also highly experienced in handling inquests, Medical and Dental Council complaints, Tribunal hearings, and in advising medical personnel on medico-legal and ethical issues and contractual/employment matters.
We have been involved in many landmark cases and have lectured extensively on key aspects of medical law.
We are sensitive to the stress that a claim of negligence or complaint to a regulatory body can place on medical practitioners and staff. We provide a hands-on, fast and efficient service to those involved.
In recent years Hayes has taken a leading role in advocating reform to Ireland’s system for clinical negligence litigation with the goal of producing a fairer and more efficient process for all concerned – plaintiffs and defendants.
Our services cover:
- Medical negligence claims
- Catastrophic injury claims
- Medical Council matters
- Dental Council matters
- Alternative dispute resolution, including mediation
- Disciplinary hearings
- Statutory inquiries
- Ethical issues
- Clinical trials
- Consent and confidentiality
- Professional indemnity
- Health and safety issues
- Risk management issues
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information advices.
Hayes has Ireland’s largest dedicated healthcare team and has been at the forefront of healthcare legal issues for more than 60 years. Our credentials include:
- Solicitors to the Clinical Indemnity Scheme since its inception, defending high value and complex claims taken by patients against a variety of hospitals as well as looking after the interests of clinicians, nurses and hospitals at coroners' inquests
- More than 60 years’ experience of acting for and advising the Medical Protection Society, a key indemnifier of doctors in Ireland. We defend clinical negligence claims in the Circuit Court, High Court and Supreme Court acting on behalf of consultants and general practitioners. We also look after the interests of doctors at coroners' inquests and at fitness to practise inquiries before the Medical Council
- We act for Dental Protection, a key indemnifier of dentists in Ireland, defending clinical negligence claims. We also look after dentists during fitness to practise inquiries by the Dental Council
- Hayes has been involved in the vast majority of the benchmark legal cases and challenges in healthcare in Ireland, particularly in major cases on consent and complex high value cerebral palsy/catastrophic injury claims
- We are leading the way in developing pre-action protocols and developing innovative ideas geared towards early stage and cost-effective resolution. Hayes hosted a major conference on these issues in May 2014 in Dublin. Read more.
- We regularly advise on issues related to consent, record keeping, confidentiality, end-of-life issues, communication and open disclosure
- For the Veterinary Defence Society, an indemnity provider, we deal with clinical negligence claims in the Circuit Court, High Court and Supreme Court acting on behalf of veterinarians, as well as looking after their fitness to practise inquiries before the Veterinary Council
- We act for the Medical Bureau of Road Safety in relation to Freedom of Information requests it receives up to and including submissions to the Information Commissioner.
What clients say: Healthcare Law
Very strong partners, very keenly aware of clients’ needs, forensic on detail and good at strategy. Very focused towards achieving the end results and know cases inside out
The team at Hayes are extremely talented, on top of their work, diligent and hardworking. They make sure they have read around the issues as well as the papers in the case. They have a depth of experience and ensure that all work is constantly monitored by the partner dealing with the file.
Hayes Solicitors’ healthcare and life sciences team are extremely professional in their approach, possess extensive experience, have vast, in-depth knowledge, and approach each case thoroughly, leaving no stone unturned. They are a top-tier firm in the industry
The team at Hayes are recognised for their excellence. Working with them they are always available for advice.
The practice has a very deep understanding of the legal issues in the cases I deal with them on. They are very well organised and very good at sticking to deadlines and giving sufficient notice to me so I can do the same.
High-quality legal firm with a fully professional service. In all my dealings with Hayes Solicitors I have found them to be competent, efficient, personable and very discreet
"The team provide expert advice in a manner that clinicians understand. They are approachable, non-judgmental and provide clear direction. The service experienced to date has been excellent. It is an excellent firm to work with and I feel we are in good, safe hands."
‘They have a systematic and disciplined approach to case management" and are recommended for their "Organisation and attention to detail, commitment and professionalism."
One of its strengths is the quality of the partners.
"Hayes have a very large practice in the insured claims, in particular in the health sector. Indeed, they are the pre-eminent firm in the market in that sector. They have a great deal of insight, built up over many years, into the facts of these cases, but also into the manner in which to run them, including the expert witnesses to retain. They are an invaluable resource for those with claims in this field."
‘Communication between team members is excellent.’
They have a very deep understanding of the legal issues, which they can converse in without sounding too technical, and are very well organised.