Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Our Litigation and Dispute Resolution team includes solicitors from a number of practice areas including corporate and commercial, employment, insolvency, defamation and media, and healthcare law. We advise clients in a wide range of high value contentious scenarios. We help our clients to resolve their disputes efficiently and effectively to minimise the stress involved.
We are market leaders in the defence of clinical negligence litigation. Our commercial litigation team is recognised for its expertise in handling complex disputes involving significant value, voluminous documents and cross-border, multi-party and multi-jurisdictional issues. We represent financial institutions, banks, state agencies and companies from a wide range of sectors and have distinctive expertise in handling cases before the Commercial Court and Superior Courts.
Hayes has highly experienced and respected mediators and is committed to exploring alternative dispute resolution mechanisms as an alternative to litigation. We are pragmatic and effective negotiators and proactive, cost-conscious case managers.
We are proactive in informing clients of impending legal developments and in assisting them in minimising future legal risks.
Our specialist services include:
- Administrative law, including judicial review
- Debt recovery, acting for foreign clients
- Licensing - new on/off licences, auctioneers, clubs and restaurants
- Personal injury for both plaintiff and defendant
- Product and public liability
- Professional negligence - medical, legal and veterinary
- Property disputes
- Representing clients in the Commercial Court
- Commercial arbitration and mediation
- Corporate recovery and insolvency
- Corporate criminal offences
- Intellectual property
- Tribunals of inquiry
- Employment law
Hayes is widely recognised as one of Ireland’s leading litigation firms. Examples of our work include:
- Advising and handling claims for state agencies including NAMA, the State Claims Agency, the Department of Education and Skills
- Representing and advising the Medical Protection Society, a key indemnifier of doctors in Ireland, and Dental Protection, a key indemnifier or dentists in Ireland.
- Representing the UK Special Administrator in a major professional negligence claim against a leading international accounting and business advisory firm.
- Acting on behalf of the defendant in a windfarm construction dispute.
- Representing official Receivers and banks in commercial property disputes.
- Advising and representing the interests of The Irish Times in media and defamation matters.
- Representing Donal Kinsella in his landmark High Court defamation proceedings against Kenmare Resources PLC, resulting in a record €10 million award in his favour. The jury’s decision is subject to a Supreme Court appeal.
What clients say: Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Very responsive, thorough and always extremely well-prepared and professional. Gives 100% attention
‘Hayes Solicitors’ dispute resolution team are extremely professional in their approach, possess extensive experience, have vast in-depth knowledge, and approach each case thoroughly, leaving no stone unturned
Sources praise the lawyers' "attention to detail and accuracy" and note that "they are immensely invested in the case."
"Their sensitivity to the real situations that are affecting those people involved is absolutely phenomenal."
"Hayes are unique in that they combine excellent litigation advice while remaining calm and clear minded."
"The litigation and dispute resolution team at Hayes Solicitors are exceptional. They are unmatched in the industry in terms of delivering instructions to barristers and ultimately achieving the very best for each and every client."
Very collaborative approach and worked highly effectively with other teams
"They are always approachable, are quick to respond and give balanced advice"; praised for willingness to give "absolute focus and attention to cases.
"They are easy to contact, sensible and a pleasure to work with" and have the ability to provide "specialised advice.
"I have dealt with many solicitors at Hayes, from trainees to senior partners. I have never been disappointed: professional, good knowledge of the subject matter, personable, efficient, accommodating and effective."
"This practice has a unique ethos, in my view, in terms of the service it provides. It has a very experienced team and the junior members of the team have support at all times. Cases are always very well prepared, organisation is key and nothing is left to chance. There are very adroit lawyers on the team who work very well with counsel. The client gets a very well rounded service. The team has a strong ethical sense and approaches litigation in that context but also with a practical approach."
"High quality legal firm with a fully professional service. In all my dealings with Hayes Solicitors I have found them to be competent, efficient, personable and very discreet."
"They have a simply fantastic touch when dealing with clients"