Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Our Litigation and Dispute Resolution team includes solicitors from a number of practice areas including corporate and commercial, employment, family, insolvency, defamation and media, and healthcare law. We advise clients in a wide range of high value contentious scenarios. We help our clients to resolve their disputes efficiently and effectively to minimise the stress involved.
We are market leaders in the defence of clinical negligence litigation. Our commercial litigation team is recognised for its expertise in handling complex disputes involving significant value, voluminous documents and cross-border, multi-party and multi-jurisdictional issues. We represent financial institutions, banks, state agencies and companies from a wide range of sectors and have distinctive expertise in handling cases before the Commercial Court and Superior Courts.
Hayes has highly experienced and respected mediators and is committed to exploring alternative dispute resolution mechanisms as an alternative to litigation. We are pragmatic and effective negotiators and proactive, cost-conscious case managers.
We are proactive in informing clients of impending legal developments and in assisting them in minimising future legal risks.
Our specialist services include:
- Administrative law, including judicial review
- Debt recovery, acting for foreign clients
- Family law
- Licensing - new on/off licences, auctioneers, clubs and restaurants
- Personal injury for both plaintiff and defendant
- Product and public liability
- Professional negligence - medical, legal and veterinary
- Property disputes
- Representing clients in the Commercial Court
- Commercial arbitration and mediation
- Corporate recovery and insolvency
- Corporate criminal offences
- Intellectual property
- Tribunals of inquiry
- Employment law
Hayes is widely recognised as one of Ireland’s leading litigation firms. Examples of our work include:
- Advising and handling claims for state agencies including NAMA, the State Claims Agency, the Department of Education and Skills
- Representing and advising the Medical Protection Society, a key indemnifier of doctors in Ireland, and Dental Protection, a key indemnifier or dentists in Ireland.
- Representing the UK Special Administrator in a major professional negligence claim against a leading international accounting and business advisory firm.
- Acting on behalf of the defendant in a windfarm construction dispute.
- Representing official Receivers and banks in commercial property disputes.
- Advising and representing the interests of The Irish Times in media and defamation matters.
- Representing Donal Kinsella in his landmark High Court defamation proceedings against Kenmare Resources PLC, resulting in a record €10 million award in his favour. The jury’s decision is subject to a Supreme Court appeal.
What clients say: Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Hayes Solicitors has 'particular expertise in the defence of pharmaceutical and/or product liability claims'. Key players include medical negligence specialist Mary Hough and Joseph O'Malley.
"Hayes Solicitors combine a deep knowledge of the subject and a well-rounded pragmatism."
The lawyers at Hayes are "very client-focused, quite progressive and ambitious. They are flexible in their approach and creative in coming up with solutions."
"Hayes Solicitors are an excellent firm. They uphold the highest standards of the profession, preparing carefully for litigation while advising the client at all stages of the possible risks and outcomes."
Joseph O'Malley is a highly regarded commercial disputes lawyer with a "phenomenal ability to pick things up and absorb information," according to impressed clients.
"Approachable, thorough and quick to respond. This team really stands out in terms of approach and quality of advice - it's a very personal kind of service."
"This firm's performance has been first-class - the strength in depth of the lawyers who do our work and their skill and attention to detail, makes them the best amongst our panel of solicitors."
"Hayes runs its cases fairly and in the best interests of its clients"
This firm is a leader in the field of healthcare litigation.
Hayes runs its cases fairly and in the best interests of its clients.
Hayes solicitors is in 'a league of its own'.
The firm is renowned for its prowess in healthcare litigation.
Joseph O'Malley is an accomplished mediator as well as advising clients, including the US SEC, on regulatory matters.
Joseph O'Malley's broad practice covers regulatory disputes, IP, and insolvency and restructuring mandates. Market commentators agree he is an excellent litigator, commending him as “a great lawyer with an impressive, growing reputation”.
“Absolutely excellent in alternative dispute resolution."
Joseph O’Malley at Hayes solicitors is valued for his ‘balance of common sense, technical expertise and commerciality’.
Joseph O'Malley is "an expert in professional discipline," says one client, adding he has a "very sharp intellect, and is client-driven and innovative."
The firm is a leader in the field of Healthcare Litigation.